Set guidelines for your family
(HealthDay News) -- The prevalence of TV, computer and smartphone use among children and teens requires some restrictions, experts say.
The American Academy of Pediatrics suggests creating a media plan for your family:
- Set limits on screen use.
- Encourage playtime as a daily priority over screen time.
- Be a good role model. Avoid watching too much TV or smartphone use yourself.
- Teach your children the importance of personal interaction over use of social media.
- Bar screen use during meals, social gatherings and at bedtime.
- Don't use technology as an emotional pacifier. Teach your child other coping methods.
- Research all apps for kids before selecting any for your children.
- Some social media use is a good thing. But warn children about the importance of privacy and the dangers of predators and sexting.